Make a Charity Website Step by Step Guide in India
Make a Charity Website Step by Step Guide in India
Want to raise funds online for over 70 million Indians living in extreme poverty, preserve wildlife, advance arts, sports, education, etc.? Here’s an easy 7-step guide to make a charity website in India.
This post covers the following topics:
- 7 easy steps to build a charity website in India
- Simplified 4-step procedure to get tax exemption for your NGO, Trust, Charity, or Society.
These topics are delineated in reverse order, i.e., first, 4-step procedure for tax-exemption; second, 7 steps to build a charity website.
Simplified 4-step Procedure for Charity Incorporation and Tax Exemption
Did you know?
Just as you can self-create a charity website, you can register your nonprofit organization’s name with Registrar of Companies, MCA without hiring the services of a legal practitioner.
For this purpose, you can use the Simplified Proforma for Incorporating Company electronically (SPICe -INC-32).
Here’s a simplified 4-step procedure to register your charitable organization and get tax exemption.
- Choose a unique name and get it approved. Check for it through the RUN (Reserve a Unique Name) facility.
- AcquireK DSC (Digital Signature Certificate) and DIN (Director Identification Number) for directors.
- Apply for Section 8 License and Certificate of Incorporation (COI).
- Get PAN (Permanent Account Number) and TAN (Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number)
7 Easy Steps to Make a Charity Website in India & Boost up Fundraising
- Plan How You Will Do Fundraising on Your Charity Website
- Create a Layout or Pick Out a Charity WordPress Theme to Style Your Site
- Set up a Recurring Donation System – Consider a Free Plugin
- Get a Gateway with Preferred Payment Options for Each Donor
- Get Secure Hosting and Install SSL Certificate
- Optimize Your Site for Search Engines
- Run Social Media Campaigns – Most Charities Do
Use these 7 easy steps to build a charity website and start accepting donations in India from local and international donors. Best practices to boost up online fundraising are also listed.
1. Plan How You Will Do Fundraising on Your Charity Website
It might seem undesirable, but don’t be tempted to skip this step. A pre-panning regarding how you will raise funds for your cause will save you from future complexities and help you collect enough funds in the given timeframe.
Your planning would involve:
- How much money do you want to collect?
- Your target audience (local or global community).
- A payment gateway to provide each donor with preferred payment option/s.
- Boost fundraising through automated recurring donations.
- How you will raise awareness of your cause and attract volunteers/donors.
For donation processing, you might go for PayU or choose one or more from the world’s top 15 payment gateways.
2. Create a Layout or Pick Out a Charity WordPress Theme to Style Your Site
Converting visitors to volunteers, donors, and lifetime supporters requires a lot more than just creating a charity website.
To convince potential donors to support your cause, your nonprofit website must showcase:
- A mission statement
- Targets achieved (with stats, pictures, videos)
- Achievements/awards/success stories
- Upcoming events (with countdown)
- Various ways to support (donate, send a gift, buy products)
- Campaign management
- A volunteer management system
- Donors’ appreciation
- Reviews and testimonials
- A news blog, etc.
While getting all this done might incur huge costs, you can pick out a charity WordPress theme with all the built-in systems and functionalities, like Lifeline2.
Using 500+ theme options and 50+ shortcodes, you can quickly build a charity website with personalized look, feel, and functionality.
3. Set up a Recurring Donation System – Consider a Free Plugin
Mostly fundraising organizations look for long-term or lifetime supporters who are willing to make recurring donations.
You will need a sophisticated donations management system to accept automated recurring payments from such individuals and organizations.
But make sure, your recurring donation system also includes the features like:
- An option for donors to set an amount they can easily afford for recurring payments
- Defining/choosing a recurring frequency
- Various styles for donation forms
- A donation button (to be placed anywhere)
- Supports all the popular payment gateways, etc.
You can consider installing a free plugin for recurring donations system on your charity website.
4. Get a Gateway with Preferred Payment Options for Each Donor
Often neglected by fundraising organizations, a local payment option can serve as a big factor to boost up fundraising. It’ll increase conversion and promote quick payments.
Donors usually like to donate using a local payment gateway they are already using for their routine transactions.
Complexities attached to an unfamiliar processor would cause them to either delay the payment or look for other charities to contribute to.
The following are the major payment processing providers you can use to accept donations in India.
- PayU – India’s fast and simple gateway with a global presence and local expertise – 250+ donation processing options.
- Paypal Pro – Serves 200+ countries/territories and 25+ currencies.
- 2Checkout – 200+ countries/territories with local language/currency & 45+ payment methods.
- Stripe – Available for charities in India and 38+ other countries. Supports 135+ currencies.
5. Get Secure Hosting and Install SSL Certificate
If you are going to make a charity website to raise funds online, it is very important to arrange secure hosting for it.
Any negligence and malpractice, in this regard, might cause loss of collected funds and jeopardize sensitive financial information of donors.
And one thing more – don’t forget to install an SSL certificate on it to safeguard users’ precious data.
While it involves sizable annual costs, you can get an SSL Certificate for your charity website free from the nonprofit Internet Security Research Group.
6. Optimize Your Site for Search Engines
A search engine optimization will bring and boost up organic traffic to your charity website, thus increasing both donors and donations.
For this, you have to be very careful from the very beginning.
Top 10 techniques for search engine optimization include:
- Use a lightweight charity WP theme.
- Improve page speed – a critical factor for SEO.
- Write high-quality, SEO content.
- Do internal and external linking.
- Get backlinks for your nonprofit website.
- Promote on social media and do extensive sharing.
- Use the right keywords in your images.
- Consistently publish unique content (in the blog section).
- Only include meaningful and readable URLs in posts and pages.
- Don’t forget to write meta descriptions.
7. Run Social Media Campaigns – Most Charities Do
Most charities use social media platforms to raise awareness about their cause, promote charity events, and drive traffic to their nonprofit websites.
To cash in on the power of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, and Pinterest, etc. you should also integrate various social media platforms on your site.
Usually, it isn’t that simple to make a charity website in India and start accepting donations from anywhere in the world. But choosing and doing the right things at the right time can make everything easy and rewarding.